School Update 20th June
We hope that this finds you enjoying a rather damp Father’s Day together.
As we head into the final weeks of term we will be keeping you informed of arrangements and developments and we will continue to do so over the Summer months, as we prepare for the Autumn term.
Over the past ten days, we have welcomed 3 visits to AWS, two from Somerset LA and one from the ISA (Independent Schools Association).
The ISA provide excellent support and guidance ongoing with a personal approach and an understanding of our designation and our vision.
One of the LA visits had a safeguarding focus, in terms of ensuring our numbers on site were in line with our registration. Our admissions procedure was also audited. The other appointment was a general visit from the new strategic commissioning officer who has recently arrived in post.
Spirit Venture Trip
On Wednesday, Spirit visited the beautiful city of Wells. With an unexpected Toymaster pit stop (much to Mr Wright's delight) with the school credit card, the students toured the city centre before making their way to the stunning Cathedral which is steeped in history……
As the weather closed in from the Mendip Hills and the forecast towards Castle Cary was not favourable, the decision was made to head back to school for an afternoon of learning. The visit to Castle Cary is now planned for Wednesday afternoon, for completion of this Humanities Venture trip.
We are in regular and proactive communication with Somerset Highways, who have recommended that we conduct a new traffic survey. This involves taking measurements from the “pinch point” in the road close to the school to evidence that traffic slows through that part of the road and in time to provide adequate braking distance from our new proposed exit.
This is already in motion and will be completed within the next two weeks where we will be submitting our fresh application. Please be assured our planning team are working as hard as they can to tick every single box and expedite the process once the application is completed. In the meantime we still await a response from the DfE to ascertain if they are able to work with us regarding our on site student capacity. With such continuous interest in our school, we are trying to explore every possible avenue to increase our capacity even slightly prior to full planning.
End of Term
As restrictions will not be fully lifted by 9 July, we are revising our “whole school” end of term arrangements for student presentations with the plan of hosting 2 separate presentations for the separate Key Stages. This will take place on Friday 9th July with timings TBC.
We are also confirming our end of term programme based around a Skills Week commencing 28 June and a Transition Week for the final one, culminating in our final Celebration Day. Details of any offsite trips will be confirmed as soon as possible.
With many thanks as always for your support.
Gareth, Hellen and Team